Sunday 28 September 2014

Unit 01 Visual Recording

The First Week
I first began by drawing our shoes. At first I had done an observational drawing of four different trainers, altering how it must be done each time. The first was drawing the shoe without looking at the paper, it was hard not to look at the paper as it is a natural thing to do when drawing.
In many places I had completely missed the shoe, filling the inside quite a lot even though it shouldn't be there but I couldn't see the paper.



After that I had to draw the shoe after looking at it for precisely one minute and then having to hide the shoe, drawing it from memory. It was proven pretty easy for most parts, as for the more detail done it had began to get harder. I own a pair of these shoes quite similar so it was preferable quite easy to do from memory as I am able to base it around my proper shoe that I wear often.



Thirdly I had to draw using my alternate hand, which being my left hand as I am a right handed drawer. It was weird but it actually turned out pretty good and I am proud of the outcome. Using my left hand I was able to go into more detail as I take it slower and try and be more precise. In my eyes it looks like a space boot.




Finally I had drawn a shoe in an aggressive form, being bold and flat. It was easy because there wasn't really any alterations, just having to draw almost child like. The outlines of the shoe are much darke





The Second Week
The week after drawing shoes, I had began to start drawing in perspective. I had to do 4 different locations around my college drawing each place in one-point perspective, to be honest it was actually quite difficult as I find it easier to be able to copy from an already drawn picture. After doing one-point perspective drawing I had to do two-point perspective, which is much easier than one-point perspective. I had to draw a building using the technique which, my teacher said 'You kinda hovered above the building' but hey, it still turned out pretty good for a first attempt.



The Third Week

In the third week, I had to start doing observational drawing. It is absolutely my worst nightmare, it is one of my flaws in drawing being unable to to draw an observational drawing. Practicing observational drawing can up my skills in drawing in so many ways such as being able to draw realistically and into proportion. I had to use many techniques such as measurement using the pencil and plotting the outside of the each shape before actually going into detail. The teacher insisted we wouldn't stick with one object in detail and then carry on with the others to eventually possibly misplace an object and have to rub out all my hard work.
After using pencil, we had to use charcoal. It isn't the best tool to use for rounding edges such as on the glue tub, but I am proud of the turn out. It turned well for using charcoal for the first time. I enjoyed using the tool except for the feel, the feel of it makes me cringe, which makes it an even harder tool to use.





Fourth Week
In the fourth week, I finally had to have a main focus on the negative space when drawing observational. I was told to draw a few items on the table that were set to give some decent amount of negative space. After drawing observational, I was told to get a copy of it and begin colouring the negative space to emphasize the area that wasn't filled with an object. Focusing on the negative space increased my skills on drawing more observational. As the same as before in the last observational drawing I was told to plot out the objects before going into as much detail as possible. After plotting and doing so, detail was quite minor with the objects and I wasn't told to shade or tone any of it as I was focusing on the negative areas.


On the left is the observational drawing with no tweeks or shading on it. On the right was when I had to colour the negative spaces to emphasize the objects.

Fifth Week

During the fifth week, I was asked to begin drawing the creases in clothes. This task was actually quite hard to do, I enjoyed the challenge though and I used line to create the shading in my cloth pieces. I wasn't allowed to use the smudging technique as it isn't really a good technique to use, using line made it look like it bends in that position to make it more lifelike.

I like my drawing a lot considering I have only took a chunk of the cloth, I like how the line part of it shows shadow and the indents of the cloth.

Sixth Week

In the sixth week, I had began to draw the hand and face proportions. Being one of my flaws, I was unable to draw a lifelike face or hand, they are definitely not my strong suit. I did however enjoy doing this exercise of drawing my friend across the table. I had to draw his face, face on which turned out quite hard but it was fun to do.



Drawing his face on an angle really didn't turn out so good in my eyes, but it wasn't an easy task to do. His neck/chin area could do with some rework but other than that it was an O.K task.





After attempting to draw my friend, I instead draw a picture from the board so I was able to get more of an understanding on how to draw a head on an angle. I do prefer this one over the real life but it is much easier to draw from something already drawn.


 I had to draw a face step by step from the guide on the board, I do use the technique in all my drawings that I do, so it was easier to do and also easier to understand what goes in to a head only. The eyes I did weren't part of the image it was more or less my own.


My favourite part of the task I was given on the head drawing was drawing the side view. I liked how successful I had drawn it. Their chins, mouths and noses I am most impressed with and I hope to draw more side views of heads soon! The task had included almost the same aspects of the head before with the frame work, just missing out much of the detail of the entire face but the side view.

Seventh Week

in the seventh week I began having to draw the human form using what is like a wireframe of the body. It would start the body making so I would know where the proportion of the body will be such as the arms and legs, also the head, hands, feet, body and neck. It is very helpful to use this method to draw a body.









The further I got into drawing these bodies the more easier it started to become, I even began adding some extra features because I wanted to see how good it would look. Also it was quite funny to add.


Research Into Artists

One of my favourite artists of all time, has to be H.R Giger. I had heard about him a few years back when I was on an art course during my 6th form years. I had researched and was influenced by him into creating concept art to finish my course off. I like the darkness it contains within his work. His work can be quite sexual related but that doesn't make it any less weird since the Aliens and such are already weird enough.


David Kendall is in fact my 2nd uncle and is a well known artist that has drawn for comics and games for many years including JudgeDredd and World of Warcraft. I had recently researched into him during my years in 6th form days. I like his work because it relates so much into the fantasy style I wanted to include into my concept art.


Jamie Hewlett is another artist I like. I like his work because its cartoony and its also based around the music group the Gorillaz which are awesome. His work is also quite sexual related in some of his designs but others are great. I never knew this artists name until a few weeks ago. Even though I really wanted to it would always skip my mind. I am glad I remember now because I hope I can get influence from such an artist.


George Grie is another artists work I tend to enjoy viewing. He mainly concentrates on a lot of scenery concept, I like how his work is so effective with basically the darkness of his work, if you look at my moodboard it all fits together and I really like that because its so effective in how he can use the same colours and create such magnificent scenes. The darkness within his work can create quite a mysterious feeling, making you want to know whats going to happen within that scene. It makes you use a lot of imagination to create a story with such a piece.


I do not know the creaters of these concept arts, I found them from a game I have played and unlocked during the completion it. I really like this arts and wanted to include them into my research and inspiration.


Experimentation


 I began starting to create a few swords for my prop. I used acrylic on all 3 designs, even though they show only a little it is only a thumbnail sketch and I will improve on them during the making of the final idea. Experimenting with acrylic to use shade and tone was pretty difficult but I enjoyed using it.


After creating hands and faces in previous lessons I wanted to make an attempt in creating a skeleton hand, it turned out very well in my eyes. I think the experimentation of the watercolours, pencil and pen mix in well and create an excellent looking bone hand.


I created a few scenes of my own inspired by George Grie, sticking with the dark/light blues, whites and black. It could use a lot more work to make it look more realistic, such as with the water but the experimenting to see if I could use acrylic with a scene was a great experiment. I was able to fulfill my full potential without using the computer generated system, Photoshop or Illustrator.


I created a few thumbnails of my own, creating different scenes and character types. I even wanted to do close ups of some of the eyes I could use on my main character or/and evil character that is in my story idea.


I decided to try out doing a final piece of the dark side of my story, following the bad guy instead of the good guy and I wanted to use acrylic as an experiment. It took me quite a while to do such a piece and I enjoyed it. I have the prop of an dark gas tank with a scene and a close up of the characters face.
I have taken a few close up pictures of the materials used such as acrylic, pen, pencil, water colours and watercolour pencils. All combined turned out to be quite a success.







Sketches

I started creating thumbnails of pretty basic ideals, I had only used quick easy sketches to get a basic plot to where everything could be placed. I found using thumbnails an effective idea because I haven't wasted my time going into 100% detail and something going wrong. It would be overly time consuming.
After the creation of the thumbnail I expanded on a few ideas, creating more of it into detail. It turned out well and helped so much in creating my ideal.





Development of Characters and Props

I based many of my characters on these styles taken from the games I have played before, I was really interested in such characters and always want to create one of my own. Being given the chance I was able to do so.





After all the learnings of creating scenery and character body, Face and hand types. I had finally reached the point of having to create my own character and scenery into making a concept art which I like a lot, having to create a character, a prop and a scene in the back ground.

I began designing my main character using the tutorials that were given in the classes, I started by creating a basic outline of the head shape and where the eyes, nose, mouth and shoulders will go.
Doing this makes it easier for me to know where the faces main parts would go.













I had drawn another character so I was able to have more options in what I would like my character I could use.



I created a character with only his shoulders and head, this is what I started with. I had used illustrator CS6. It turned out better than I had expected. I had used the image I had drawn.

After creating my character into illustrator, I wanted to try out different styles that I could use for him, I changed him another 8 times and chose my top 3.
I like them all because they all work well with the colours I had chosen for them.


I chose to do the middle sword.


I created my prop after and also created 6 different styles because I would be able to make them fit within my character styles. I chosen to do a sword in this style because it is unique and not a usual sword. It is also a fantasy styled looking weapon. I chose to do a weapon because of my story, being a hero protecting a exiled princess because her kingdom was taken. Having the kingdom taken over that must mean there are bad men and so he has to defend her from any danger but with what. A sword, Of course.


I decided to choose my top 3 of each the characters and the weapons. I was able to match the weapon with each character.

I like all characters and weapons because they match well and both effective together


Favourite Combination

I finally chose my favourite character and weapon.
I like this character because its quite personal to me, I tried to make it match me with the brown hair and blue eyes. I also gave him dark clothes because black is one of my favourite colours and I do wear black often too.
It goes for the weapon too, I matches my personality as well as the character. This makes it even more personal.


Background

I started by bringing my image that I had drawn onto photoshop


After adding my drawing I painted over each part in a different layer in a basic colour, doing this I am able to get a sight of where everything is bit better and in the colour I want them to be in


I Started to add shade and tone in certain parts of the plain colours to make it look more realistic.


I wanted to have something in the background rather than just the sky, so I added a moon. I made it much bigger to fill the space but to also make it look fantasy like, which I was going for.


I added a plain blue back ground to fill the colour in the colour it should be.


After the sky was complete I added an effect to add some shade and tones, using an image and overlaying it gives a fantastic look.


Doing what I did to the sky I used the same technique on the rocks to make it more realistic.


Finished Background



Final Outcome



Evaluation

During the start of the course, I had began developing a lot of my drawing skills to get to the finish. The finish being a concept art there are many ways I could complete my final idea. At the start of the course I was asked to create a story of my own imagination, only to find out that we had to eventually create a concept art for such a piece. During the course, I had improved on my drawing skills and I even increased my skills on using programs on the computers. I have always wanted to create a concept art and now it was my chance.

I approached the task by doing a lot of research and development on basing my characters and scenes in a fantasy style using the game Final Fantasy as a reference I was able to create an effective character. I had drawn and designed many of my characters and researched into many artists such as George Grie and H.R Giger.

I produced my final outcome using different sorts of techniques. To produce such a final piece I had began researching into different artists, being able to do this I am able to get a lot of inspiration on my work. During the character development I had one sort of picture in my mind, it was to create them by using the game Final Fantasy, I like this style from I can remember getting into drawing I was always the one that wanted to create such a style of art. To produce my outcome of my character I had to begin creating a few sketches of my own. I created 2 main types of character in the style of the Final Fantasy Game. I began to develop them using illustrator and photoshop, I wanted to try something new rather than drawing. I was able to gain new skills using guides from youtube and other classes.
I had a altered the colours of my main character that I preferred, I wanted to try out other colours than the original design of it being just blue. During the process I was able to experiment with different colours and in fact I didn't even go with the original idea. I chose my top 3 before deciding which final 1 I wanted. Then finally chose my final one that I felt was right for the character role I had created.
Next was the prop. I produced this outcome by creating a few swords and experimenting with acrylic before using anything else. I did the same with the character designs, I created them using one design and then changing colours, experimenting with colours.
I produced my background in photoshop using textures from the internet, such as within the moon and the rocks. I had used an image that I had drew and transferred it over to photoshop, I was able to use the lines of the drawing to colour and shade in using the paint tool.

In the end I believe my work had many successes and many difficulties. The success part was that I was able to finish the project with a decent outcome, I really enjoyed doing it as well. I was able to use the programs to a great standard as well, even though it was pretty much the first time I had used photoshop to create such a piece. The difficulties were creating the prop really, I wasn't 100% sure in what I wanted it to be. Another difficulty was doing everything when I was supposed to, even though its been completed I could have done more than what I had done now.
What I could do to improve is to make the character to fit the background or the background to fit the character, Sadly they do not match very well and seem out of place. If I had more time, I would definitely change the background rather than the character because I am very happy with my character the back ground even though it has a lot of potential I wasn't very happy with it and so next time I would improve on that. I would also improve on the development of my prop, because I lacked much development of it. Not creating many designs and ideas, I had only a limited choice. Next time I would improve on that as well.

Overall I enjoyed the creation of my final piece and I am happy with it even though there are many things I could improve on. I believe I could achieve a merit possibly a Distinction with the amount of research and annotations I have produced throughout this unit.







No comments:

Post a Comment